Tuesday, July 29, 2008

re: quote(s) of the moment or, umberto eco, genius italia

sometimes I read something and I think, damn, write that down.
ummm, so I did.

in this installment: Umberto Eco, genius Italia
(many gems, here are a few)

on ambiguous symbols: "A secret is powerful when it is empty...it can be filled up with every possible notion, and it has power."

on Dan Brown: "I suspect that Dan Brown might not exist."
(there is context to this, but it's better without)

on so little sex in his novels: "I think I just prefer to have sex than write about it."

on comedy: "I have a suspicion that it is linked with the fact that we are the only animals who know we must die."
and: "But perhaps I'll create an empty secret now, and let everyone think that I have theory of comedy in the works, so when I die they will spend a lot of time trying to retrieve my secret book."
(note: awesome Aristotle/self allusion)

on his legacy: "I don't believe one writes for oneself. I think that writing is an act of love - you write in order to give something to someone else."
and: "When a writer says, I am not interested in the destiny of my book, he is simply a liar."

c/o the Paris Review, Summer 2008

No comments: