Wednesday, February 11, 2009

re: Idling, all the cool kids are doing it

Here is a review I wrote for The Peak (SFU's Student Newspaper). I originally had a lot of block quotes but you guys just need to read it. You guys. Read it.

Sit back and kick up
By Maegan Thomas

The Idler's Glossary by Joshua Glenn and Mark Kingwell, Illustrated by Seth

“Let us agree that life can be boring.” Yes, indeed let us. I’m now in the illustrious and much coveted 5th year of my degree and I also work a corporate job. I am busy, busy, busy and bored. Because of this boredom, I procrastinate, I slack off, I shirk. I am often lazy. But according to The Idler’s Glossary by Joshua Glenn and Mark Kingwell, I am not idle. And I should be.

The OED definition of “Idle” includes “actions, feelings, thoughts, words void of any real worth, usefulness, or significance.” The Idler’s Glossary is a pocket-sized glimpse into how the OED, and probably you, have it all wrong.

Read the rest...

No comments: